[swift-evolution] Replace the override keyword by 'extend' and 'replace' or add an annotation like @SuppressSuperCall

Ricardo Parada rparada at mac.com
Tue Feb 16 16:43:18 CST 2016

Hi Florian,

I have always taken care of this problem in other languages without recurring to specialized language features.  For example:

class Foo {
    func _someMethod() {
	// Do something important
	…

	// Now give subclassers a chance to do something
	someMethod()
    }

    func someMethod() {
	// Default does nothing

This way you are in control when someone else overrides someMethod since _someMethod() does the important stuff first and then calls someMethod() to allow those extending the class to do something.

Also, I can modify _someMethod() and move the “Do something important” part to be after the call to someMethod().