[swift-evolution] Renaming bitPattern and truncatingBitPattern

David Turnbull dturnbull at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:37:03 CST 2016

I propose upgrading bit-casting labels to match the new API design
guidelines. Here's what we have today:

UInt8(bitPattern: someInt8)
Uint8(truncatingBitPattern: someBiggerInt)

"Bit pattern" has the needless word "pattern" while not reading well due to
the lack of a verb or preposition. Simply "bits" will not be confused with
something else in this context. "Truncating" is the present participle
which is confusing.

I like:
UInt8(fromBits: someInt8)
Uint8(truncateBits: someBiggerInt)