[swift-evolution] Replace the override keyword by 'extend' and 'replace' or add an annotation like @SuppressSuperCall

Shawn Erickson shawnce at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:38:39 CST 2016

The addition of before and after are just icing on the cake as they say (I
see benefit but am not sure about them being worth it). I agree the core
benefit would come from being able to state "require override" as a base
class with or without providing an implementation. The only hole I see in
that is how to help subclassers detected missed calls to super (subclass
override(instead) helps deal with that well enough). I could see require
(override) and require (override,super) as base class if the author
strongly feels a subclass needs to involve the supers implementation... of
course then you get back to the edge case of before and after.

So at it core I support...

For base classes require(override) with or without an implementation,
without implies abstract, with implies a subclass should likely call the
base implementation in its override

For subclasses override to detect override attempts or on omission flag
unexpected overrides, override(instead) to state it is ok that supers
implementation isn't called in the override (assumed to be desired unless
instead is stated).