[swift-evolution] Replace the override keyword by 'extend' and 'replace' or add an annotation like @SuppressSuperCall

Alexey Demedetskiy alexey.demedetskiy at teamaol.com
Mon Feb 15 16:06:54 CST 2016

Hi

I would like to suggest you to extend your proposal.

In my practice, overriding super functions can have several semantics.
1) Replace - simple case for abstract classes which implementation do nothing, or throw an exceptions.
2) After super - things like viewDidLoad and viewWillAppear, setUp etc. All cases where super expect to be called before child code.
3) Before super - opposite to 2.
4) Override - no rules about order, but super call must be done.

So code can look like:

override(after) func viewDidLoad() {
    // super.viewDidLoad() <— no need to call super at first line.
    // child code
}

override(before) func tearDown() {
    // clean code
    // super… inserted by compiler
}

override(instead) func loadView() {
    // super.loadView() <— marked as an error with appropriate fix-up to remove instead modifier
}

override func refillHealthBar() {
   // absent call to super will cause an error with fix-up to add (instead) modifier
}

I am not sure about exposing this in a public interface and limit child override options.

But in general - what is your thoughts about this approach to problem that you mention?