[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0030 Property Behaviors

Ricardo Parada rparada at mac.com
Sun Feb 14 18:09:10 CST 2016

Proposal link:

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0030-property-behavior-decls.md

What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1

Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
I think it has enough features to implement the typical patterns as discussed in the proposal and that seems like a good start.

Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes. It seems a powerful elegant addition that will allow boilerplate regarding properties to be moved out of the compiler and into libraries.

If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I don't recall having seen this in other languages.

I think it opens up some interesting possibilities and could help solve some problems more elegantly than what I have seen solved through other means.  For example managed properties and object/array faulting in Core Data and Enterprise Objects Frameworks for mapping objects to relational data bases. It would be interesting to see if property behaviors could be used to solve these problems.

I think it would help if property behaviors had the name binding to get a hold of the property name. That was mentioned as a future enhancement though.  It will be nice to get that.

How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
I have been following the discussions in the mailing list and I have read the entire proposal. No in-depth study though.