[swift-evolution] ed/ing, InPlace, Set/SetAlgebra naming resolution

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 15:37:45 CST 2016

>From a 10,000-ft view, I'd suggest that the noun/verb rule consistently
runs into a problem with mathematical terms.

In general, mathematical functions don't have verb forms. You 'compute' the
reciprocal, or 'find' the reciprocal, or 'take' the reciprocal, you don't
'reciprocate' or 'reciprocalize'. Likewise for trigonometric functions,
etc. Nor can you really 'cross produce'...

So consistent is this trend that where two words might be noun/verb
counterparts, like intersect/intersection and transform/transformation,
common math usage treats both as acceptable nouns.

In colloquial usage, you might verb the noun, but then by definition the
verb and noun become the same. Then, to generate a noun
phrase/participle/etc. that looks different from the verb, you have to
noun-ify the verbed noun.

Without an exception for mathematical function names, the only solution to
fulfill these new Swift rules are clobbering the well-known math name or
not using the math name at all. Indeed all proposed solutions so far come
down to one of four options, either applied globally or only to sets for
now, punting the rest down the road:

(1) Abandon the rule, making a new one (e.g.: .=)
(2) Make an exception to the rule for math function names
(3) Generate the least offensive noun-ified verbed nouns based on math
function names
(4) Don't use math function names

(1) is off the table, according to the core team. My vote at this point is
for (2), and I see that a few others have voiced that opinion. It'd be nice
to get a sense from the core team if that is even a possibility. (3) has
elicited a lot of discussion and visceral reactions. (4) might be workable
for sets alone but surely can't be a generalized solution for all
mathematical concepts to be encountered in Swift.