[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0030 Property Behaviors

Aditya Vaidyam avaidyam at purdue.edu
Sun Feb 14 14:58:39 CST 2016

Hello,

It’s my first time using this mailing list, so please do let me know if I’m doing something wrong.

I personally agree with the `[]` syntax because it allows for something more like `[lazy, atomic]` without having to look a lot like Java annotations (which do something completely different). I think the `@` syntax should be reserved for compiler directives. The `[]` mechanism also could be expanded on like so:

```swift
/// abc is both lazy and atomic in behavior
var [lazy, atomic] abc: Int = 1234

/// ^ expands to:
var `abc.lazy` = LazyBehavior<Int> { 1234 }
var `abc.atomic`: AtomicBehavior<Int> { `abc.lazy` }
var abc: Int {
	get { return `abc.atomic`.get() }
	set(val) { `abc.atomic`.set(val) }
}
```

That is, in the order of appearance of the behaviors within the brackets, their behaviors will become a composed chain. Now this also means that some behaviors can only be initial or terminal, which must be specified through other syntactical means. In addition:

```swift
/// abc has behavior `myBehavior` which requires a parameter
var [myBehavior(parameter: true)] abc: Int = 1234
```

Again, this also further increases complexity, and possibly the need for a separate `behavior` declaration, instead of piggybacking on `protocol` (it could possibly be similar to `operator` syntax?).

--
Aditya Vaidyam

Purdue University
College of Science ‘17
Neurobiology and Physiology, Computer Science, Pre-medicine