[swift-evolution] Is there a need for a Decimal type?

Charles Kissinger crk at akkyra.com
Sat Feb 13 18:31:05 CST 2016

> On Feb 13, 2016, at 2:46 PM, Dale Buckley <dalebuckley86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using what Foundation provides up until now. You are indeed correct that add the appropriate operators is a simple task to make it easier to use.
>
> What my original discussion was aimed at was non Foundation based platforms where we don’t have this luxury.

My understanding is that NSDecimal is not yet implemented in cross-platform Foundation, but it will be. (That’s my reading of their status page.) It should eventually be available everywhere that Swift is.

No objection here to having a Decimal type in the standard library though. I think that would be great.

—CK