[swift-evolution] Is there a need for a Decimal type?

Craig Cruden ccruden at novafore.com
Sat Feb 13 14:57:58 CST 2016

You mean this (I cannot find NSDecimal)

let y = NSDecimalNumber(string: "5")

y.decimalNumberByAdding(NSDecimalNumber(string: "10”))

Base values like this should not be mutable…..

And I could not find an NSDecimal implementation accessible from Swift (is there one)? (as such I cannot check that api).

The only real difference between a Decimal and an Int is that Int / Float instructions exist in hardware, whereas Decimal has to be simulated - but is just a real type when programming in high level language.

So you should have all the infix operations available, and the values themselves should not be mutable.