[swift-evolution] ed/ing, InPlace, Set/SetAlgebra naming resolution

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Sat Feb 13 11:43:30 CST 2016

on Fri Feb 12 2016, Sébastien Blondiau <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Using only the operators | & - ^ |= &= -= ^= for the operations on Set
> would simplify the code and resolve the problem of the names of these
> functions. Set do not really need these functions as method, only the
> operators would be enough, like the BitwiseOperationsType which do not
> have the methods xor and orInPlace ...

We have a semantic muddle in this area, because:

* We believe that bitwise operations on integers are distinct from set
  operations and should use different notation.

* We believe that option sets are set-like and should use set notation.

* Yet option sets are, semantically, exactly like the bitwise aspect of
  integers (i.e. the set elements are the same type as the sets themselves
  and may subsume one-another).

We can't really keep all these contradictions in the air at once and not
end up with a naming mess.

-Dave