[swift-evolution] For discussion: Including source code alongside binaries

Jean-Daniel Dupas mailing at xenonium.com
Sat Feb 13 06:52:35 CST 2016

> Le 12 févr. 2016 à 23:35, Maxim Veksler via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> a écrit :
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to start a discussion on the possibility of enabling compelling Swift binaries that embed the source code from which they've been compiled.
>
> The value of having source code embedded alongside the binary is  debugging aid - A developer will be able to download 3rd party framework, include it into his Xcode project and then drill down in a debug session into the framework code, having Xcode showing him the source code from which the current breakpoint instruction was built.
>
> This feature exists in the java world where you can compile a Jar file, having each .class contain it's .java counter part. I //think// it's stored in this property https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jvms/se7/html/jvms-4.html#jvms-4.7.11 <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jvms/se7/html/jvms-4.html#jvms-4.7.11>. This allows opening the Jar of a target library in eclipse and instantly seeing what the code is doing.
>
> The alternatives today are either decompilers, or .dSYM both are good but not great as each requires manually steps in either management or enforcing corrects of the results.

dsym is not an alternative and don’t provide the sources. It is just a bundle of debug symbols, which are information required to map instruction addresses to function name and source code line. Having the sources without dsym would be mostly useless. You won’t be able to put symbolic breakpoint or source location breakpoint, and won’t be able to get anything useful from the debugger but assembly.