[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0024 "Optional Value Setter `??=`"

Craig Cruden ccruden at novafore.com
Sat Feb 13 06:16:48 CST 2016

What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1 for the simple reason that there is no real downside and it is consistent with existing operators.
If consistency is not a goal of swift then 0.

Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
No, Problem indicates that without it that you would have a problem accomplishing something or it would be much less efficient.
None of the shorthand operators “solve a problem” they are just shorthand.
Using "a = a ?? b" instead of “a ??= b” is not much of a saver, but there are many programmers that work/think in that shorthand.
I generally never use any of the shorthand operators mostly because I generally avoid mutable — but even when using mutable state
I don’t generally type/think in shorthand when it comes to existing types of the same ilk.
It would actually cost me time to use them since I would have to think then type the shorthand (and I type fairly quickly) vs automatic.

Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes

If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I have not used other languages with a similar feature for optionals.

How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
Read the proposal, played around in playground comparing it to similar operators that exist and compared