[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0024 "Optional Value Setter `??=`"

James Campbell james at supmenow.com
Sat Feb 13 06:10:16 CST 2016

One common case could be for a error catching, consider this:

let object = try? UnsupportedMessage(text: "James", type:.Text,
date:NSDate()) ?? FailedObject()

vs

var object = try? Message(text: "James", type:.Text, date:NSDate())
object ??= UnsupportedMessage()

Why would we need this? I have a chat application where if it gets a
message it doesn't understand it will throw an error. In the past I would
handle this errors by returning nil like so. However we want to communicate
to the user that they missing content by vending a UnsupportedMessage
object which shows the UI to prompt them to upgrade.

If the object being constructed has a lot of variables then it could be
lost off the side of the screen. I feel ??= is more concise in this case.

This could also be great for the null object pattern where you may not want
a variable to be nil, you may want some sort of null object that is vended
in cases of failure that could log this error.

*James⎥Head of Awesome*

*james at supmenow.com <james at supmenow.com>⎥supmenow.com <http://supmenow.com>*

*Sup*

*Runway East *