[swift-evolution] ed/ing, InPlace, Set/SetAlgebra naming resolution

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 02:29:55 CST 2016

+1 to '&.' or a new member accessor for mutating types. We've spent this
long arguing semantics about ing/ed just for "union", we're not going to
find a generalised and concise solution using an English suffix.

I don't think the static method is necessary, just make mutating methods
require '&.'.

Set.union would already have the type:
    (inout Set) -> Set -> Set
I think this is good.

+1 to adding mutating to reference types, thus allowing '&.' on them. I've
often thought it would be nice to have mutation checks on reference types.
Purely for better assurances about what my code can do.