[swift-evolution] Analysis of case conventions for initialisms

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Fri Feb 12 17:29:08 CST 2016

> It’s perhaps worth pointing out that the capitalization conventions for acronyms differ in different parts of the English-speaking world. For instance, I believe most British publications refer to Nasa and Nato (if their style guides are to be believed anyway), while Americans generally only use NASA and NATO.

British English distinguishes between pronounceable acronyms and unpronounceable initialisms; the former are titlecased while the latter are uppercased. Thus, when The Guardian publishes "Nasa seeks new class of astronauts as US nears return to crewed space missions", it capitalizes "Nasa" and "US" differently.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies