[swift-evolution] Analysis of case conventions for initialisms

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Feb 12 16:55:08 CST 2016

on Fri Feb 12 2016, Jon Shier <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> 	I find myself distinctly unimpressed by the “argument from
> other languages” presented in favor of #2. Any “rule” considered here
> should be able to stand on it’s own logical merits, no matter what
> other languages may do.

I disagree.  Other languages provide important data points about what
has worked/not-worked in every design space.

It isn't that “.NET did this so it's good.”  It's “I've been programming
in .NET for 10 years and discovered this part of its convention worked
well, and this other part caused problems for my team.”

What other languages have done also sets the groundwork for what is easy
for people to learn, and learnability is an important design goal for
Swift.

--
-Dave