[swift-evolution] Analysis of case conventions for initialisms

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Feb 12 10:35:07 CST 2016

on Fri Feb 12 2016, Marco Masser <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Strong dislike for #2. I understand and accept the benefits, but I
> just don’t like how that looks.
>
> I also don’t use #1 or #3. Instead, initialisms in my code are always
> all uppercase, no exceptions.
>
> For type names, I can’t remember a case in my code where that could
> not be avoided or was too bad to read.
> For local variables, methods, and functions, I try to find a name that
> puts the initialism at the end of the name, e.g. let publicationURL =
> document.URLForPublication

Interesting approach.  If you'd like to create an amended document that
accounts for that one, too, I'd be happy to incorporate it.  However,
note that I've tried pretty hard to stay away from subjective factors in
the analysis; it would be good if you could do the same.

A separate poll on the violence of peoples' negative reaction to each
choice might not be a bad idea—that stuff counts, too, as long as more
than a handful of people respond.

> In my experience, my guidelines don’t always work. Just like everyone else’s.
>
>> On 2016-02-12, at 06:51, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>

>> I just posted a write-up about various case conventions for initialisms:
>> https://gist.github.com/dabrahams/55fc5ece355da4664730.  I was surprised
>> at how it turned out, FWIW.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --