[swift-evolution] Analysis of case conventions for initialisms

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Fri Feb 12 14:53:59 CST 2016

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 11:20, Jessy Catterwaul <mr.jessy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 	• "hTMLString" (a value) is nonsense to me; that's three words "h", "TML", and "String”.
>

> It was nonsense to me also. But I realized that we need to solve the problem of inconsistency, and forced myself to use it for a week.
>
> Now, it’s not nonsense, but instead, automatic and solves all relevant casing problems.

I see this as valuing internal consistency over consistency with the rest of the world, which seems like a Bad Idea. This violates "Use Terminology Well <https://swift.org/documentation/api-design-guidelines/#use-terminology-well>" for me in the current draft API design guidelines. Identifiers are not sequences of characters; they are meant to be read.

Jordan