[swift-evolution] [Draft Proposal] A simplified notation for avoiding the weak/strong dance with closure capture lists

Jason Gregori jasongregori at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 12:28:43 CST 2016

I like Kenny and Kurt's points about handling the majority case and keeping
the syntax simpler.

I feel like most of the time I want to break a retain cycle is for a
completion block which returns void. Can we just handle that case and get
rid of the else?

Also, I don't think [guard self] is self explanatory enough. I think weak
should be in there so it's much more obvious you are doing the weak/strong
dance with self, otherwise it looks like you are guarding against a regular
optional being nil.

So:

[guard weak self, other]