[swift-evolution] Make integer conversion initializers failable

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 12 12:10:30 CST 2016

My use case is a small chess game where my Board class has a Location indexer, and any Location object has a guaranteed value on the Board. The Location struct handles adding signed deltas to coordinates and returns nil when that location wouldn't exist. My coordinates are UInt8 values and the "casting" code looks like:

private func intToU8(int: Int) -> UInt8? {
	if int >= 0 && int <= Int(UInt8.max) {
		return UInt8(int)
	}
	return nil
}

Of course, if UInt8's initializer returned an Optional instead of trapping, I wouldn't need that function at all.

In general, I would also say that it's a good idea to make dangerous behavior explicit. I think that Swift's model for converting integers is already punishing enough that we might as well add the exclamation mark.

Félix