[swift-evolution] Proposal: x == 2 should not be a valid statement

Jean-Denis Muys jdmuys at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 02:03:46 CST 2016

Strong -1

Swift is in the C-family of languages, syntax-wise. == as the comparison operator is as much rooted there as are braces.

All these are questionable on similar grounds: ==, += -= and so on, braces as block delimiters, even the single = sign

> It’s too easy to accidentally write “x==2” instead of “x=2”.

And I can also argue that +, - *, / are also bad, because 'It’s too easy to accidentally write “x+2” instead of “x-2”.’  and therefore we should replace them  with ADD, SUBTRACT, MULTIPLY, DIVIDE

or something

What is the reason for Swift to use C-like syntactic constructs? I suppose it’s familiarity. Granted, familiarity might not be the strongest argument. Yet it counts.

== is familiar, unambiguous, and the compiler can catch most cases of mistyping.

JD