[swift-evolution] ed/ing, InPlace, Set/SetAlgebra naming resolution

James Hillhouse IV jimhillhouse at me.com
Thu Feb 11 18:14:55 CST 2016

Dave, you are correct that in today’s common usage, ‘union’ is solely a noun. And you’re right that nouns don’t have an anything-participle or else ‘nationing’, ‘automobiling’, or ‘lift-offing' would be naturally appropriate, which they are obviously not, at least not yet.

So, when I first saw ‘unioning’, my first thought was, “Huh”?

But lo and behold, if you go back to an older version of Webster’s, apparently the 1917 edition if Wiktionary is to be believed, it turns out that ‘union’ was both a noun and a verb and therefore at least in that era’s usage had a past participle.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/union#English
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/unioning

The reason I commented on ‘union’ as a verb was because, with ‘unioning’ proposed in SetAlgebra, I figured someone in the Swift group must have been a fan of older verb-form usage of ‘union’. That’s what I get for basing my comment on ‘Wiki’-anything.