[swift-evolution] ed/ing, InPlace, Set/SetAlgebra naming resolution

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:19:44 CST 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution
<swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> It looks like we are poised to:
>
> * Force Set into the mold by “verbing” nouns as noted in the beginning
>   of the thread, because it's a prominent type and it should follow the
>   main guideline.
>
> * “Punt” on the more general question of what to do about other cases
>   that don't fit well.  That is, we'll make a decision later.  In the
>   meantime it would be great if the community would gather a list of
>   problematic cases.  There is some starter material in
>   https://gist.github.com/dabrahams/847cf573f8795fc07596 if it helps.

If that's the decision of the core team, then I suppose we'll have to
live with it. But, FWIW, if you're noting feedback from the community,
my two cents are:
(a) Both union()/unionInPlace() and unioning()/union() are less than
ideal function names, but the former is both immediately clear and
less 'horrifying' in terms of contorting the English language.
(b) It seems that many are willing to live with the wording if it's
only temporary, but if the long-term roadmap as currently envisioned
is to take today's union(), turn it into unioning(), then turn it back
into union(); and to take today's unionInPlace(), turn it into
union(), then into =union() [and yes, the right tooling will mitigate
the pain of these transitions to a long extent], is making this change
as proposed now clearly superior to the status quo?