[swift-evolution] What about garbage collection?

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Wed Feb 10 00:14:24 CST 2016

Strong -1 for GC.

I think the advantages of ARC over GC as given by Chris, Joe and Dave with regards to energy efficiency, memory efficiency, caching behavior, predictability, value types with copy on write and declarative memory management on the object graph level are essential and indispensable.

And yes, I see it as an advantage having to think about memory management dependencies on the object graph level and deciding how to break cycles. I think this leads to much cleaner object models.

-Thorsten