[swift-evolution] [Guidelines, First Argument Labels]: Prepositions inside the parens

Matt Whiteside mwhiteside.dev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 17:44:12 CST 2016

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 11:18, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> Hi everybody,
>
> Having looked at some examples, the API guidelines working group members
> that were present this morning agreed we really want prepositions inside
> the parentheses of method calls.
>
> Here are some results for the importer; we're still tuning some of the
> heuristics but overall we feel very good about the preposition
> placement:
>
>  https://github.com/apple/swift-3-api-guidelines-review/commit/da7e512cf75688e6da148dd2a8b27ae9efcb8821?diff=split

I haven’t read through every bullet item in this email, but I definitely agree with what you’ve done as far as having the preposition inside the parenthesis, as it is in the git diff.  This seems clearly better than putting the left-paren between the preposition and its object, which unnaturally breaks them apart.

-Matt