[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0029 Remove implicit tuple splat behavior from function applications

Jerome ALVES j.alves at me.com
Tue Feb 9 03:13:44 CST 2016

Hello,

I use this feature to make generic "weak target actions" like this :

func weakTarget<T, S: AnyObject>(target: S, action: S -> (T -> Void)) -> (T -> Void) {
    return { [weak target] (input: T) -> Void in
        guard let target = target else { return }
        return action(target)(input)

class Target {
    init() {}
    func printHello(firstName: String, lastName: String) {
        print("Hello \(firstName) \(lastName) !")

class Receiver {
    init() {}
    var printSomething: ((String, String) -> Void)? = nil
}

var aTarget: Target? = Target()
let aReceiver = Receiver()

aReceiver.printSomething = weakTarget(aTarget!, action: Target.sayHello)

aReceiver.printSomething?("Jérôme", "Alves") // => "Hello Jérôme Alves !"

a = nil

aReceiver.printSomething?("Jérôme", "Alves") // => aReceiver.printSomething still has a value, but it does nothing

As you can see, if you call weakFunc() with a func which has multiple arguments, the T generic will be a tuple and I guess this is thanks to this "implicit tuple splat" feature but I'm not sure.
So can someone enlighten me ? Will this code continue to work if this proposal is approved ?