[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0029 Remove implicit tuple splat behavior from function applications

swift at lng.la swift at lng.la
Sun Feb 7 14:42:24 CST 2016

> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1. I don't quite agree that it's purely a sugar feature -- the use-case I brought up in the discussion thread involves the use of generics in combination with tuple splatting, and removing the feature would require abandoning type safety by using Any typing or writing lots and lots of duplicate code.

That said, I do think that this feature should be redesigned and replaced, and given that it's not practical to do so in time for Swift 3, and that we want to minimize backwards compatibility breaks after Swift 3, it's important to remove the existing feature now. My personal use case mentioned above is only used to facilitate testing, where type safety is less important, so dropping down to Any typing is fine as a temporary workaround.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes, for the reasons described above.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I don't have experience with tuple splatting outside of Swift.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I read the entire proposal and participated in the original discussion.

Jarod