[swift-evolution] [Draft Proposal] A simplified notation for avoiding the weak/strong dance with closure capture lists

Kenny Leung kenny_leung at pobox.com
Sun Feb 7 13:05:33 CST 2016

By the time you’ve written something like this:

[guard button, window = button!.window else nil]

your shortcut has turned into a longcut.

I would prefer something a lot simpler syntactically that would handle 80% of the cases. For the rest of the cases that don’t fit, it’s probably cleaner and more understandable to just write regular guard statements.

I propose

doit { [weak self, other]? in
    doing some stuff...
}

If any of the capture list evaluates to nil, the block is not executed. If the block signature has an optional return value, nil is returned. Anything else, you’re on your own.

-Kenny