[swift-evolution] Optional safe subscripting for arrays

Maximilian Hünenberger m.huenenberger at me.com
Sat Feb 6 14:52:54 CST 2016

Probably I wasn't clear about that. Sorry.

My concern was about adding (code from Dave Sweeris):

extension Array where Element: NilLiteralConvertible {
    subscript(ifExists idx: Index) -> Element? {
        get { return (startIndex ..< endIndex) ~= idx ? self[idx] : nil }
        set { if (startIndex ..< endIndex) ~= idx { self[idx] = newValue ?? Element(nilLiteral: ())} }

Since it would allow this:

var array: [Int?] = [1]
array[ifExists: 0] = nil // sets array[0] to nil if index is valid
print(array) // "[nil]"
array = [1]
array[ifExists: 0] = array[ifExists: 1]
print(array) // "[nil]"

Whereas the normal behavior:

var array: [Int?] = [1]
array[ifExists: 0] = nil // does nothing
print(array) // "[1]"
array[ifExists: 0] = array[ifExists: 1] // does nothing
print(array) // "[1]"

Hope this clarifies my point
- Maximilian