[swift-evolution] Colon vs. equals

James Campbell james at supmenow.com
Sat Feb 6 11:38:25 CST 2016

In Ruby there is a special syntax for hash
[ "key" => "value"] which makes it less ambiguous compared to =

Sent from Outlook Mobile

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 5:07 PM -0800, "Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution" <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> If ":" should be replaced by "=" than only at the call site to make it more consistent with variable declaration and initialization:
>
>         myFunc(number = 4, string = 7)
>
>         func myFunc(number: Int, string: String) {}
>
> Although writing "=" instead of ":" in methods in 1.5 years Swift and over 20 years Objective-C would be a huge change.

To be clear, I like colon in parameter lists; I don't see passing a parameter as setting something.

I suppose mainly what I'd like is for attributes to change:

	@available(iOS, introduced: 7.0, deprecated: 8.0)

And *possibly* for dictionary literals to change:

	let dict = ["key" = "value"]	// Also, the shorthand syntax would be [String = String]

Although dictionary literals seem like a relatively high-impact change compared to its value.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies