[swift-evolution] Colon vs. equals

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:36:47 CST 2016

Interesting point, I guess ":" in dictionary literals is to make the syntax
unambiguous.

This is currently valid swift:

    let x = [a = b]

Its type is: Array<Void>. It seems like the syntax is clearer if the
delimiter isn't a valid operator.

Also there's a problem with default value syntax:

    func test(a: Int = 123)

This would be hard to read with only "=":

    func test(a = Int = 123)

Also if the default value was an operator:

    func test(a = Int -> Int = =)

Granted you could change the less commonly used default syntax, but it's
probably syntactically easier to differentiate user-controller delimiters
(assignment) and compiler-controller delimiters (:,). The example with
assignment in an array illustrates this.

I do agree '@available' though, it seems like it should be ":"

=)