[swift-evolution] Optional safe subscripting for arrays

Maximilian Hünenberger m.huenenberger at me.com
Fri Feb 5 17:58:21 CST 2016

You are totally right. The return type is "Int??".

My point was that if we allowed something like this (as suggested by Dave Sweeris I think):

        var array: [Int?] = [1]
        array[ifExists: 0] = nil

To set the element at index 0 to nil instead of doing nothing.
The next example would also set index 0 to nil even though the getter failed:

         array[ifExists: 0] = array[ifExists: 1]

- Maximilian