[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0005 Better Translation of Objective-C APIs Into Swift

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Fri Feb 5 06:14:24 CST 2016

I’d like to voice my opinion before is too late and reiterate what Nate said. Although I’m not going to add much, because Nate already said it all better than I could.

• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I agree with most of the proposal except for "Strip the "NS" prefix from Foundation APIs”. I strongly disagree with this change for the same reasons as Nate:

- This change will make Foundation types look Swift native enough to confuse some users between the stdlib’s value semantics and Foundation’s reference semantics.
- The change will complicate the creation of a Swift native foundation that uses the power of Swift to provide true value semantics to types that need them (URL, Data, CountedSet, etc…)

• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I don’t necessarily think that the problem being addressed is that significant, but the change is appreciated (except for the NS prefix). To be honest, I would have preferred more design and development effort to go towards enhancing the Swift language itself, or the emergence of a real Swift foundation framework.

• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

It does.

• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Nothing to say here.

• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I have kept up with the discussion since the start and have tried to keep an open mind about everybody’s opinion.

David.