[swift-evolution] When to use argument labels (a new approach)

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Thu Feb 4 13:04:01 CST 2016

> On Feb 4, 2016, at 8:21 AM, Matt Whiteside <mwhiteside.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 4, 2016, at 00:23, Radosław Pietruszewski via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Personally I think it’s a shame to constrain ourselves to (imho) inferior naming convention because it’s what existing ObjC APIs use. Definitely understandable, but considering this isn’t a _really_ super common pattern, I think it would be just fine to leave the translations in good-enough state (whatever the decision on SE-0005 is), and follow a new convention in new Swift APIs.
>
> +1.  Strongly agree on this.

Well, let me just say that there may be room for these kinds of principles to evolve in the future, but those are the constraints we have to work within to get this first round of guidelines out.  This importer technique can only carry us so far: Swift will acquire new expressive capabilities, and we (Apple) will have to consider other ways to make sure Cocoa's APIs keep up.

-Dave