[swift-evolution] If let syntactic sugar

Massimo Frasson maxfrax at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:20:28 CST 2016

Hi everyone,

I find myself writing a lot of times "if let” to unwrap optional values. In particular I do as follows:

var something: Type?

func foo() -> Void {
  if let something = something {
    doStuff(something)	//just an example

As you can see I usually keep the same variable name and the variable scoping does the rest.
I think it could be a cool syntactic sugar getting the same result as the code above omitting “something =“.
Let me be more clear: if you don’t specify the name of the unwrapped variable, swift does the unwrapping for you, keeping the same variable name.

So the code above would be:

var something: Type?

func foo() -> Void {
  if let something  {
    doStuff(something)

Let me know what you think and also if you have questions.

Best regards,
Massimo Frasson
iOS Developer, Belka srl