[swift-evolution] When to use argument labels (a new approach)

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Wed Feb 3 18:25:26 CST 2016

> On Feb 3, 2016, at 5:02 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> on Wed Feb 03 2016, plx <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> After reading these guidelines and seeing the responses I am glad to
>> see some consideration given to argument labeling.
>>
>> After thinking it over, I think the rules *I* would like to see can be
>> expressed very straightforwardly much more can be made much A minor
>> point, but I think it’s important to distinguish between
>> single-argument functions and multi-argument functions; doing so seems
>> to simplify the rules (even if there are more of them).
>
> I imagine that probably leaves you with very odd results for functions of
> the form
>
>    a.doThisTo(that, options: [ .animated ], backwards: true)
>
> beecause this method is effectively a single-argument method with some
> auxilliary information.

This is a multi-argument function and is addressed in the multi-argument section.

> Okay, this is pretty big.  I'll have to come back to it, but for now let
> me leave you with a thought and a question:
>
> 1. Anything that takes this much explanation to describe is too big for
>   the guidelines.  If it can be condensed (a lot) it might be made to
>   work.

The proposed rules are short (and stated tersely). There’s probably a way to expand them into a 1-2 sentence/each that doesn’t need as much explanation.

> 2. Does this actually produce different results than the guidelines I
>   have suggested?

On “Swift-stdlib” code I don’t think it gets different results.

On application code it falls in the camp that wants e.g. tracksWith(mediaCharacteristic...) and tracksWith(mediaType…), rather than `tracksWithMediaCharacteristic(...` and `tracksWithMediaType(…`.

Other than that, it tries to avoid any reference to grammatical rules in its formulation.