[swift-evolution] Obsoleting `if let`

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Feb 3 17:47:25 CST 2016

Data point (which Chris brought up already, I think?): We tried this* and got a lot of negative feedback. Optionals are unwrapped too often for people to be comfortable writing "if let name? = optionalCondition".

It may be more uniform and even more pedantically correct, but our users hated it.

Jordan

* The actual thing we tried only allowed patterns that began with 'let', but that's close enough.