[swift-evolution] Representation of natural numbers with a distinct type

James Froggatt conductator at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 3 15:09:45 CST 2016

I'm not sure I follow. Could you elaborate on this?

If such a type were made, I'm fairly sure generic functions designed to accept a CollectionType would throw an error if the count were negative (if trying to iterate with 0 ..< .count, for example), indicating such a type doesn't implement the protocol as it was intended to be used.

From James F

> On 3 Feb 2016, at 20:50, David Turnbull <dturnbull at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can have a collection with a negative count. There's uses for this too. For example, importing data. You can import whatever garbage in one pass, and validate in a second. That way you don't have to mix concerns in your code.
>
> -david
>
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM, <davesweeris at mac.com> wrote:
>> What about .count? Is it possible for that to be negative? If we change how count is represented, I think it should be switched to size_t, rather that UInt. I’m aware that they’re currently the same thing, but that might not always be the case, and, at least the way I understand things, the max value of a platform’s “pointer” type is more directly tied to the maximum possible element count than the max value of its native uint type. I know of at least one platform in development which uses 64 bits for pointers, but the address space is only 61 bits because the CPU & memory system use 3 bits for flags.
>>
>> - Dave Sweeris
>>

>>> On Feb 3, 2016, at 11:58, David Turnbull via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> -1  CollectionType and it's ilk, contrary to what you believe, were designed to handle negative indexes just fine. Or even indexes that aren't numeric. And there's plenty of real use cases for this.
>>>
>>> class GraphRow : MutableCollectionType {
>>>     var values = [Int](count: 201, repeatedValue: 0)
>>>     var startIndex: Int { return -100 }
>>>     var endIndex: Int { return 100 }
>>>     subscript(column: Int) -> Int {
>>>         get {