[swift-evolution] Issues with 0005-Better Translation of Objective-C APIs Into Swift

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Tue Feb 2 18:46:36 CST 2016

on Tue Feb 02 2016, Aaron Crespo <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I think Kevin and I come from the same place and largely agree. I feel like
> this is trading in of accessibility and discoverability for the sake of
> terseness. This might be aesthetically pleasing but gives up many positive
> side effects the more descriptive names provide.

This is not about aesthetics; it's about clarifying code by omitting
details that don't carry their weight in terms of communicative power.

> Consider the time before you knew you could or how to "check the
> documentation". Or the time spent scanning unfamiliar or long
> forgotten code.

I am considering that.  Code like this is hard for me to read because
there is a great deal of information that is either redundant or
irrelevant, and I have to filter it out.

  let cleansedString = listItemView.stringValue.stringByTrimmingCharactersInSet(
     NSCharacterSet.whitespaceAndNewlineCharacterSet())

The above is not an improvement over

  let cleansed = listItemView.stringValue.trimming(.whitespaceAndNewlines)

in understandability, especially when you put it in context in a large
program.  Programmers have a great deal of complexity to manage, and
giving them twice the number of words to process in order to understand
a piece of code makes their job a lot harder.

We don't write English that way, for good reason: it results in
impenetrable text.  You might be able to pick apart the details of a
sentence with great precision, but you'll never be able to grasp the
meaning of a paragraph.  The same applies to programs.

> These concerns might be eased if consideration was also being given to the
> first parameter rule.

If you mean the default for first parameters, some of us are thinking
about that; just not in this thread please.  But regardless, I don't see
how changing the default would address any of your concerns about
comprehensibility of code that follows the guidelines.

-Dave