[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0006 Apply API Guidelines to the Standard Library

Janosch Hildebrand jnosh at jnosh.com
Tue Feb 2 13:42:33 CST 2016

> On 02 Feb 2016, at 19:49, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> on Tue Feb 02 2016, Janosch Hildebrand <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>
>>> On 02 Feb 2016, at 02:41, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution
>>> <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> on Mon Feb 01 2016, Janosch Hildebrand
>>> <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>
>>
>>> <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>>>

>>> Why?
>>>
>>> I had a hard time justifying "keeping" to myself for a while, but
>>> eventually I realized that this pattern is less ambiguous, at least in
>>> general, since many verbs are also nouns.  Okay, "keeps" haven't been
>>> considered high-tech construction elements since the middle ages, but
>>> it's easy to understand how you'd be interested in the capacity of a
>>> keep.
>>
>> :-)
>> You are right, it's definitely less ambiguous in general. I'm just not sure
>> how often that ambiguity actually arises in practice and if it's often enough to
>> justify always using the clearer but less beautiful style, even if it often actually
>> might not be necessary...
>
> I am not convinced there's an objective aesthetic winner here.
> It's consistent with our aims to have method names that cause their
> invocations to very clearly describe semantics.  To me, that is the mark
> of a beautiful API.
>
> When I didn't think it was clearer, I argued that in the absence of
> other criteria, the shorter name (“keepCapacity”) should win, but
> overall, the use of the past particple for these kinds of parameters
> emphasizes that they modify an aspect of the behavior of the method,
> which has the primary verb; they are not independent commands.  So I
> think the three extra characters pay for themselves.  It has the added
> benefit of satisfying those for whom being able to speak the method name
> fluently is an important factor.

You make a strong case but I think this is just one of those cases where I'm
reluctant to commit to anything before getting a feel for the code which simply
takes time :-) So I think I'll just defer to your better judgment for now.

This (meaning the guidelines, not just this point) is probably an area that might
get some more feedback anyway once people have actually used them for a while
so I'll come back to this then if it still irks me.

Anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time!

- Janosch