[swift-evolution] [Extending review] SE-0005, SE-0006, SE-0023 API Guidelines and impact

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Feb 1 15:15:28 CST 2016

> On Feb 1, 2016, at 5:54 AM, Daniel Steinberg <daniel at dimsumthinking.com> wrote:
>
> Doug,
>
> There has been a lot of wisdom and good advice that has been part of the swift-evolution list that could be included in the API Guidelines. This could help developers determine (using a recent list discussion), when to prefer a computed property over a function that takes no parameters and returns a value. When to prefer a struct over a class … , when should we create a mutating method and when is it best not to,
>
> Because these higher level considerations have no impact on Swift 3, they can wait - but at some point I’d love to see the document expanded to include these decisions that programmers make all the time where we would love to see some collection of best practices that new-comers to the language can adopt and emulate.

I do hope that the API guidelines will continue to evolve over time. We’ve focused most on naming because that’s it's fundamental and has such a significant impact, but I agree that many of these other areas could benefit from guidelines. For some (e.g., struct or class?), I expect we’ll need more time for the community to establish best practices before we can codify them.

	- Doug