[swift-evolution] Operator implementation inside struct/class body

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Feb 1 14:41:45 CST 2016

> On Feb 1, 2016, at 1:47 AM, Haravikk <swift-evolution at haravikk.me> wrote:
>

>> On 1 Feb 2016, at 04:55, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> We need multiple modules to be able to define instances of an operator, we need operators in extensions, and we need retroactive conformance to work, as with any other member.
>
> Why?

I’m not sure which piece you’re asking about.  I’m just saying that name lookup needs to follow an algorithm, and that algorithm needs to be specified.

> Like I say, the operator itself is really static, not a method of an instance, as it declares what it operates on in its parameters, just as an operator does now, the only difference is being able to declare it in class/struct for clarity. There’s also no talk of making explicit operator declarations such as Foo.==(a, b),

I agree.

> so it seems to me that nothing will actually change functionally from the way operators are now.

You need to specify the lookup order, and how to determine whether something is a shadow or redefinitions.  The compiler needs to have an algorithm to decide this, and this is an important part of the behavior of the feature.  As such a proposal should specify how it works.

-Chris