[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0006 Apply API Guidelines to the Standard Library

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Sun Jan 31 10:28:36 CST 2016

> Canonical Dave:
>> Me:
>>  - use nouns for unambiguously functional items without side effects (distanceTo(), successor)
>>  - use verbs for unambiguously procedural items
>
> This works great so far.  I think you can say
>
>  - use nouns for methods with no side effects (or only incidental ones,
>    like logging)
>  - use verbs for methods with significant side-effects
>
> and you can stop there.  Why does this have to be more complicated than
> that?

Because *someone* put mutating/nonmutating  rules into the guidelines. And I'm OCD enough that
they are irritating me. It's the mutating/nonmutating bits that I perceive as unneeded hungarianisms that push a
little too far into detailed advice by tying method naming to overly specific fancy rules. (Insert a joke here about
fancy cats and fussy linguistic grooming.)

>> One final point: I think the -ed/-ing advice is wrong. Adding "ed"
>> isn't really creating a past tense verb (reversed).
>
> No, it's creating the past participle.  We had this checked by a
> linguist :-).

This is why I love you guys.

-- E, appreciative