[swift-evolution] Reconsidering SE-0003 Removing var from Function Parameters and Pattern Matching

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:50:25 CST 2016

+1 for `bind`. I dislike the use of the same keyword for two different
purposes. Also `if let x = x` is confusing for beginners (by beginners I
mean beginners to Swift not to programming) since:

  1. `let x = x` is, outside of binding, an error.
  2. Beginners quite rightly say "`x` already equals `x`!".

On Friday, 29 January 2016, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> > On Jan 28, 2016, at 10:05 AM, Erica Sadun <erica at ericasadun.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > Do you realize how much confusion it would save if Swift just went with
> >
> > if bind foo = bar {...}
> >
> > with let semantics?
>
> I don't see how changing the keyword changes anything, no.
>
> -Joe

  -- Howard.