[swift-evolution] Swift 4 evolution mailing list for not Swift 2.x/Swift 3 suitable proposals (async/await, for example)

Vanderlei Martinelli vmartinelli at alecrim.com
Sat Jan 30 19:23:58 CST 2016

Well, I’d like to congratulate you and your team for the Swift language. I
think it is the best programming language we have today and I really enjoy
coding in Swift (it was love at first sight). Protocol extensions and error
handling are blowing mind things you added in version 2, amongst other nice
features. :-)

As a system/software architect, however, I have the habit of thinking of
the projects in the short, medium and long term as I think you do too. I’m
programming in Swift since the day-zero of the first public beta release
and since this I try to convince the teams I work to adopt Swift too. When
they ask me about Swift 3 and future versions, now I have something to
say. Nevertheless they ask: “After the next conversion process will we need
to rewrite important parts of the code and test them one more time spending
weeks with this again like we did with previous versions?” And I have to
answer: “Yes. But only we want access to latest Swift, Apple SDK and  and
third-party framework features." Of course we want!

I know that resilience is a goal of your team and it is not a easy thing to
accomplish. But the example of `async` and `await` is a feature that me and
others are asking since pre-RC 1.0 versions. I think that @Craig suggestion
is a very good one. Some things have, I think, to have its discussion
started very early in the process to guide the long term development. This
is my opinion, of course (as I’m writing it).

Regards,

-Van