[swift-evolution] Reconsider ++ and -- operators removal and prevent other well-known operators from change

Vanderlei Martinelli vmartinelli at alecrim.com
Sat Jan 30 13:26:17 CST 2016

Radek, thank you for bringing this up, but I know the reasons they have
been removed and I read the older messages (the `&&`, `||` and `!`
operators mention was an intended hyperbole). I am aware of the “Swift
evolution process".

And I still do not agree with the removal. You can consider code like:

network.activiy++
doSomeNetworkActiviy()
network.activiy--

`activity` here does not need to be a numeric variable, but other thing.
Does not make sense to write...

network.activiy += 1
doSomeNetworkActiviy()
network.activiy -= 1

...since I cannot add or subtract more than 1 in any case.

Now we can use methods like `increment` or `decrement`, but the two words,
when reading, are similar and not clear as `++` and `--`.

OK, but my initial message intent is to prevent operator like `?:`, `??`
and others to go away too (and maybe bring back the `++` and `--`
operators, who knows?).

Best,
-Van