[swift-evolution] Modernize Switch/Case Statements?

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Sat Jan 30 03:39:44 CST 2016

I’d say to make it optional, as the use of just a colon is great for compact switch statements with short cases, so I think they’re worth retaining.

Actually, one thing we don’t have in Swift is the ability to just put blocks (curly braces) wherever we like, which in some languages is a useful tool for variable scope when you know you only need something for a short time, but might want to re-use the name. Currently they just result in a “trailing closure separated by multiple new-lines” warning, so they could perhaps be made available, in which event you could use them in larger case statements whenever you wished.