[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Use inout at function call sites

Allen Ding allen at snappymob.com
Fri Jan 29 18:35:01 CST 2016

My 2 cents.

1. At the use site (and in actual usage in my code), func(&value) is a
visually recognizable enough pattern that it is "obvious" when I read it.

2. At the call use, func(inout value) would also be obvious, but feels
clunkier and may even be less immediately recognizable. Just my opinion. I
find symbols easier to pick out when reading.

3. I really need to be convinced that symmetry of usage at call site (for
any language feature) and declaration is a desirable thing. In my opinion,
declaration and use are orthogonal things and a lot of Swift already
exhibits this asymmetry. e.g. parameter labels vs argument names, why
doesn't calling a mutating func require mutating somewhere in the call to
make it obvious the call might mutate the receiver.

4. The possibility of Swift becoming more Rust-like and letting this
possibility drive this discussion does not seem like it should factor into
the discussion of whether this proposal is a win.