[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Adjusting `inout` Declarations for Type Decoration

Charles Kissinger crk at akkyra.com
Fri Jan 29 16:04:30 CST 2016

The one downside I see to this is that it puts the ‘inout’ in a less prominent position. It looks fine after an argument name like ‘x’, but if the argument is named ‘textRepresentation’ or something longer like that, the ‘inout’ isn’t quite as noticeable as it is now, particularly if it’s in a long parameter list. In cases where the the inout parameter is the first one in the function call, the current position for ‘inout’ allows it to stand out nicely at the head of the line.

So a +/-1 for me.

The related idea of replacing ‘&’ with ‘inout’ at the call site seems completely contradictory to this proposal. Developers would then have to remember that the ‘inout’ goes before the argument at the call site but after it in the function definition. That seems like a constant source of mis-typings and something that would be viewed as an inconsistency in the language. Or do people want to put it after the argument name at the call site too? It seems a little like change just for the sake of change, IMO.

—CK