[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0006 Apply API Guidelines to the Standard Library

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Jan 29 14:20:35 CST 2016

on Fri Jan 29 2016, Erica Sadun <erica-AT-ericasadun.com> wrote:

>>> For example, for "HasNoun", I'd go with something more like
>>> NounContainingType or NounSupplier.
>>>
>>> Non-Abrahams Dave writes: "I like -Type for protocols that can only be
>>> used a generic constraint, and -able/-ible for protocols that can be
>>> “concrete” types.
>>>
>>> And Canonical Dave replies: "But that's not how they're used.  I'd
>>> have to rename Equatable and Comparable to follow that convention."
>>>

> This is the big bit though and you didn't respond here, although it's
> mostly that I'm agreeing with you but what do you think about just
> cutting out things that get too specific? (I say the same more or less
> in the longer review email)

I don't think that's going to fly.  One of the main purposes of these
API guidelines is to remove the overhead of having to figure out how to
name things, at least as much as possible.  Programmers and designers
have enough to think about.  Teams that accept strong and specific
coding guidelines can spend more time effectively applying their domain
expertise and less time bike-shedding trivial details.

--
-Dave